Thursday, 2 January 2014

Editing styles of an indie/rock video

"The edit is the part of the video creation process where the original vision starts to become a reality. It's also where you get the first chance to repair any production errors, and where you can tie the music and images together."- Js Harding, SOS magazine.

I personally feel that all music videos use editing in the same way ; to promote.

Assuming all the footage has been captured as planned and there are plenty of takes and angles, it's the edit that decides it success. I predict that although we have storyboarded our ideas thoroughly new ideas and alterations may come to mind on set. Throughout my research into indie/rock music videos there are many similarities and links in editing that have been made apparent.


mono-scale colour- In more so the rock videos rather than the indie,I have noticed black and white colour is used. Many videos have low key lighting and encourage darker colours and I personally feel this is far more successful and effective. The video below captures how different videos use dark colour/ black and white to edit and represent rock.


Live performance-  Just like an audience shows artist loyalty by purchasing the album , 30 Seconds to mars are an example of a band who like showing their loyalty by reaching out to their target audience through their videos by including the fan in the videos as well as filming the live performance.The video above is the music video " closer to the edge" in which relate ad engage the niche market to the video. The video also portrays the band members as one of "us" rather than a cut above the rest.



use of extreme close-ups- A band who continue to use similarshots especially close-ups and extreme close-ups are "You me at six." To me as a member of the audience I am now aware of what the lead singer looks like and who he is, this is soley due to the videos. Although the bands similar sequence of shots links between the videos making the audience aware of the appearance of the band members I am still unsure to what the rest of the members look like. I therefore think close ups and extreme close-ups can have a negative impact if over used.


 Silhouetting the band- As it is very common to show the band in action in many rock and some indie videos, many artists are trying to standout by using colour or layersof texture supported by lighting to create highly successful editing effects.



Still/freeze frames-

No comments:

Post a Comment